Sunday, June 30, 2013

South Africa 2013 Part I

Part I: Love, Joy, and Run

It's almost been 1 month since I returned from my trip to South Africa. My time there carried so much depth that I'm not sure I can process all that I had experienced, much less put it into words. I will try.

First, I want to try and explain how dollars raised through my fundraising efforts of running Iron Horse 100 have impacted the lives of others. So many friends and family gave with such generous, kind hearts, that we were able to raise almost $4,000! All monies raised went to LCM to help support their work in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. LCM's mission is to establish, help, empower, and provide humanitarian relief to impoverished communities. On May 24, 2013 I traveled with LCM to the Vulindela Village, Eastern Cape Region of South Africa to take my turn in giving back. I wanted to assist others in need and I wanted to spread some of the Love, Joy, and Run God has given me.

LCM has been working with the Vulindela Village for several years in an effort to empower its people and support the growth and education of its community. Within this community, LCM has drilled a well for fresh water, built a community training center, built a hydroponic greenhouse with passive sub-irrigation, and converted some land into a soccer field for children. The major project this year was building a library in the local primary school. We knew this would be an enormous benefit to the school, but we could not anticipate how big. While there, we learned that this was the first-ever library in the entire school district, that serves over 100,000 students!!! This was huge!!!!!!!! To have a small role in preparing the library and witness the opening of the only library in the area was priceless.
Mdatya Primary School Library

Opening ceremony of the Mdatya Library

 My personal experiences there are countless! I fell in love with the people, especially the children. One of my favorite moments was walking down the street from the primary school just after school had let out. Here I am... this white American woman... walking down a dirt road with 50+ young African students... none of which speak English... laughing... teaching them to play thumb wars... having them touch my hair... girls giggling at me as they touch the skin on my arm... watching an enormous bull freely roaming the road 100 feet towards me before entering a field... looking up towards the valley and picturesque land... and then running with these energetic children. It was a surreal moment, almost like an out of body experience. It will always be like a favorite movie in my head.
One of the best moments of my life, running with the children after school.
I'm not sure I will ever be able to process, explain, or understand all that I experienced and witnessed. I do know that it was an experience I am better for having, the people of the Vulindela Village enriched my life, and I would do it all again. Maybe next year...

Celebrating after thumb wars!


Coming next... Part II: Zulu 5k and Big Peach Outreach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, let me know what you think!