Monday, May 13, 2013

Ultra-Bonded

Ultra-bonded: A friendship developed as a result of experiences shared amongst two or more people during an ultra-marathon event.

 
The past couple of weekends I have run 2 ultra races with some pretty cool people. Every time I go to one of these events, I leave having new friends. I continue to meet the most interesting, diverse, and  inspiring people.

I guess it might sound silly to say I leave with "friends" after only meeting her/him only once or twice. Like it makes us blood sistas or bruthas just because we "ran" together. Pshhhh... I mean really... how much could we know about each other?

Apparently we learn a lot! ...
"Running makes me constipated." "Really? I have to take Immodium."
"How many toe nails have you lost?" "I'm down to 4 toenails."
"I get chaffing under my bra." "I get chaffing in between my legs."
"Sorry if you are running behind me, I'm farting a lot today."
"You go ahead, I have to poop." .....

You know... we are out there being all cool and everything.

Then there are other conversations that go a little like this...
"I don't think I can keep going." "Yes you can, keep it up!"
"You go on without me." "We'll walk a minute, then jog further ahead together."
"You can do this, you're a strong person and a strong runner." ...


We are running for HOURS together. We share personal details of our lives and families. We support each other to reach a common goal and know how crossing the finish line makes us better people.  We undergo similar pains, weakness, and lows along with joy, laughter, and adventure. We share an indescribable camaraderie by taking a journey together that bonds us. We become Ultra-bonded.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, let me know what you think!