Monday, July 1, 2013

South Africa 2013 Part II:Zulu Racing 5k and Big Peach Outreach

A Running Freak's Dream

I have been a continued supporter of LCM, but have not made the trip to South Africa before this year. That all changed when Zulu Racing asked me to go alongside LCM and direct the Zulu 5k in the Vulindela Village. Are you kidding me? Heck yes I'm going! This is a race manager and running freak's dream! I could... not... wait... to give back to others what running has given to me.

Zulu Racing has been working with LCM in hosting a 5k within the village over the past several years. This race brings people from within and outside the village to compete and earn some nice running shoes provided by Big Peach Outreach (BPO). This year, BPO provided almost 250 pairs of shoes to hand out to racers that crossed the finish line. Zulu Racing also provided 100+ race shirts collected from Atlanta area races to be given out to finishers and Area 13.1 medals to the kids. Can you say "Sweet Swag"?

Race day started with me and a crew marking the course, and when I say it was freakin' amazing... it was freakin' amazing! Let me see if I can paint a picture for your mind... The course started on a dirt road and traveled through the village. After about 1 mile, racers veered left onto a narrow foot path (single track for all you runners) surrounded by wheat-style brush. The path stops just short of  the edge of a breath-taking gorge. Racers then turn right to run alongside the gorge. As they make the bend, the gorge is on their left and the Indian Ocean is in front. (If this property was in the USA, you wouldn't be able to afford it!) Racers make their way back on more path and eventually onto the same dirt road they started. It's a fast downhill to the finish.

The gorge alongside the race course (This is not photo-shopped, it's really this beautiful!)


Locals started to line up for their bibs at least an hour before the race. They were excited, ready to run! Among the 250 racers toeing the line were several elite runners, parents, children, men and women of all ages, and even a few grandmothers! As I glanced into the crowd of anxious racers I noticed a young boy, probably about 14 years old, holding his sandals in each hand. I wondered if he was going to hold them the entire race.

Minutes before the start.

A simple start to the race and they were off! Minutes later I was at the finish line waiting for the winners. I knew they would be fast, and the course was slightly less than a true 5k, but I really didn't realize how fast these winners would be... 1st place 12:52, 2nd 12:54, and 3rd 12:59!!! More amazing was the majority group of runners came into the finish line between 16-18 minutes! The grandma's were finishing up in about 35 minutes! Seriously? Are you kidding me? What an incredible event to witness.

Photo op with the top 3 finishers and their new BPO shoes.

And the young boy carrying his sandals at the start? He blasted downhill to finish in about 16+ minutes still carrying his shoes and left with a new pair too.

Still carrying his sandals! (Look closely on his arms)

Thanks to Zulu Racing for helping to send me on this trip, the work you do with LCM, and for bringing the joy of running to rural South Africa. Thanks also to Big Peach Outreach for providing shoes to people in need and putting smiles on many of their faces. You both are doing amazing work spreading the Love, Joy, and Run!
New BPO shoes!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about your trip. An awesome experience for an awesome person.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, let me know what you think!