Sunday, February 12, 2012

Nothing can prepare you for TOTW, but TOTW.

In triathlon there is a saying, 'nothing can prepare you for an ocean swim, but an ocean swim'. In trail running, 'nothing can prepare you for TOTW, but TOTW'. Top Of The World is a challenging climb that puts you on a power-line roller coaster to an elevation of 1150 feet over 1.5 miles (I'm estimating from my Garmin).  It was a great challenge for a road runner - newbie trail runner and definitely a highlight of the SweetH2O Sweetheart race this Saturday. I loved every arduous minute of it!


The SweetH2O Sweetheart Half was held in Sweetwater State Park, Georgia by the Douglas County Rogue Runners. They put on a great race and the volunteers were outstanding. I had a blast! The course offered a perfect blend of challenging climbs and serene forest. Top Of the World peak was an experience in itself, one that strangely has me wanting more of that beast. My favorite part of the course was around mile 10 where the trail turned serene. I found my self alone, smiling, and feeling like I was 12 years old running through the woods again.  I participated in this race to check out the course that will be doubled (+5miles) for the SweetH2O 50k race in April. I took it as a training run with no expectations, and came home as 4th place female finisher! They even gave me a coffee mug trophy. I'll be back in April, finding my STRONG for TOTW x 2. Where are you finding your STRONG?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, let me know what you think!