Friday, August 17, 2012

Cool As a Cucumber

That Georgia heat is sticking around and I have been loving this chilled cucumber salad! Ever since my brother in-law, Dan Visca,  made this for me in New York, I have been eating it weekly. My kids are loving it too! Try it... it's a healthy snack or side dish... plus check out these health benefits!

Cucumber Nutritional Content

One medium sized cucumber:
Calories 13
Vitamin C 5.5 mcg
Molybdenum 5.6 mcg
Vitamin A 223.60 UI
Folate 13.52 mcg
Magnesium 11.44 mg
Fiber 0.83 g
Benefits:
  • keeps the body hydrated, helps to regulate internal body temperature, and flushes out toxins
  • leaving the skin on provides 10% of your daily vitamin C
  • since it is rich in magnesium and potassium, it can help lower blood pressure in some individuals 
  • when eaten regularly, can help lower uric acid levels... great prevention of certain kidney and bladder stones

Simple and Fast Recipe!!!

  • 2-3 large sliced cucumbers
  •  1Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2-3 Tbsp grated parmesean cheese
  • chopped fresh basil, I like a lot!
  • salt and pepper to taste
Mix it all up and BAM! You got a chill and healthy salad.

Resources: http://www.gardeningchannel.com/the-health-benefits-of-cucumbers/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, let me know what you think!