Friday, January 27, 2012

To cherry juice or not to cherry juice?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/312268-what-are-the-benefits-of-pure-cherry-juice/
I have been trying this cherry juice thing as a muscle recovery aid over the past 3 weeks and here is my experience thus far...
My workouts have been increasing in intensity with lots of hill runs and strength training to prepare for the SweetH2O 50k in April. Along with that comes more muscle soreness and longer recoveries as my body tries to adapt to the new stresses placed upon it. I read about the benefits of pure cherry juice speeding muscle recovery and definitely wanted to give it a try as my recovery times are not going to get faster on their own. I've come to terms with it... I'm not getting any younger and I just can't bounce back like I was 20! I bought a cherry juice concentrate and took 2 tbsp. daily over a 3 week period. I believe my recoveries have been better with the cherry juice. My muscles seemed to have less fatigue the next day than normal after hard workouts/runs. Also, I did feel like I had less inflammation overall. Other factors to consider during this time frame: 1. I did have 8 hours of sleep each night. 2. I took Epsom salt baths after high intensity work. Both of which aid in recovery as well.
In a nutshell, my opinion is that pure cherry juice aides in recovery and inflammation. Even if it is a small amount, every little bit helps. You gotta' do what you gotta' do to keep on truckin'! I'm going to stick with it for the time being. If you try it, let me know your thoughts.
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, let me know what you think!